Monday, September 12, 2011

Exposure - September 11



I'm working on another paper at the moment.

It happens to be about Muslim v. Western interpretations of September 11... an exercise in comparing how observers of historical events tend to put their own 'spin' on things... or something like that.

When I picked this topic it did not register that this year marks ten years since the attacks.  Over the last few days I've had so many possibly sources to pool through, as everyone rolls out another editorial, or pictorial essay, or historical reflection - it's been overwhelming to say the least.

Today I found my favourite piece of the whole lot in the New York Times Sunday Review.  It's just one photograph and a description, and I thought I'd share.


After seeing so many horrible images of buildings on fire, creamy toxic clouds, and little bodies hurtling through space... this photo has a real sense of calm about it.

It records a memory of a piece of history, which includes the twin towers, but only in the background.  Literally and figuratively.  I like that.



EXPOSURE

The French high-wire artist Philippe Petit, who famously walked on
a wire strung between the twin towers in 1974, preparing for a photo shoot on a
downtown rooftop in December 1989.





It looks even better if you click and enlarge it so it fills most of your screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...