Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Inside the Cathedral

I mentioned a few days ago that one of my favourite places to be was inside a very large, old church.

When I wrote that I actually had a specific church in mind, and out of the blue, I found photos of that church on our old computer (which I am in the process of destroying to make way for another new computer in the A-------- household.  We go through quite a few.)




Sacred Heart Cathedral in the city town of Bendigo.





We went on one of those family trips there in 2005, and finding a gorgeous and huge cathedral in the middle of a gold-rush city town was not what I was expecting.





In 2005 I was 14 and taking photos on our first digital camera.

Result:  me cringing as I look over them six years later and hastily editing the life out of them in Picasa so they look somewhat presentable.

(Well, I hope I didn't edit the life out of them.)




Okay, so I edited them to make them look spooky.  

But seriously, there is so much atmosphere in a cathedral, I couldn't resist.




Sacred Heart Cathedral is built in the shape of a cross with two long wings stretching out on either side of the main building.




I've always thought the pointed archways are supposed to be pointing to heaven.




We were just in time to see the afternoon sunlight come in through the windows and light up the paintings.



 If you look carefully, you can see what's happening in the above painting...

One of my favourite places.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...