Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Confessions: I think I'm a grinch


I thought I should write something about Christmas here on my blog.  I mean it's only a four days away, and millions of people are already celebrating the Christmas 'season'.  The decorations are up in the streets, carols are playing through the stores, cards fill the letterbox, and presents are being wrapped.


To be honest, though, I couldn't really be bothered.  There, I've said it.  What a grinch.


Adoration of the Shepherds by Charles Le Brun
As a Christian, I first recognise the story behind Christmas.  But after almost 20 years of Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus, and the Three Wise Men, the story has become so familiar... almost clichéd.  How sad.

But don't worry!  When a person [like me] realises that something has become clichéd, they're on the way to re-discovering it's power and originality!  (Seriously.  I mean, it's the first step, right?)

So please bear with me as a re-discover what made the Christmas story a world-wide 'best-seller'.



While we're on that subjects, here's something which I found in my inbox this morning - a new Christmas song.

While at the mall a couple of years ago, my then four year old nephew, Spencer, saw kids lined up to see Santa Claus. Having been taught as a toddler that Christmas is the holiday that Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus, he asked his mom, "where's the line to see Jesus"? My sister mentioned this to my dad, who immediately became inspired and jotted words down to a song in just a few minutes.

It's just amazing - listen to it here.  There is a gorgeous music video too which already has over 1.5 million views on YouTube!




Anno Domini Edwin Long 1883

2 comments:

  1. LOL I think I'm a grinch too :D
    I have an assignment due on the 24th and on the 31st! Very "grinch" conducive...
    Reading the Bible version of the Christmas story I always find refreshing though. The other versions do get very cliched but the Bible just comes alive somehow :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Not assignments! Ahhh!
    My next one is Jan 7th thankgoodness. I'm working on it now, though, to avoid the post-Christmas rush.
    The Bible version is awesome...I might dabble with that on here actually...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...