Saturday, March 19, 2011

Fiction Blitz: Stack No.1

The greatest part of a writer's time is spent in reading in order to write.  A man will turn over half a library in order to write.  ~ Samuel Johnson


It's almost the end of Week 5 according to my university calender.  That means I'm halfway through first semester.  And that means I am getting right into the heart of things.  Which means that I am very busy studying.  And since one of my subjects is Creative Writing: Prose Fiction, it means that I am reading a LOT.


I have to do a little book review soon on any book, which has thrown me into a conundrum.  I just can't pick one, and only one.  So my solution?  Read a whole pile of new books and pick the one I like best.






A piece of advice for writers which I keep hearing everywhere I go is: "Read, read, and read some more.  And then write."


As part of this course, I'm supposed to write about what I read.  Rather than filling up piles of exercise books which I then have to store somewhere, I've decided to blog instead!

You may have noticed my Bookshelf already.  It's going to be undergoing some pretty rapid changes as I read heaps, but I'll try my best to keep it up to date.  I hope that it will help you find some fiction that is worth reading!



My first fiction blitz stack has the following titles:



Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn


Black Water by David Metzenthen


Emma by Jane Austen


Oyster by Janette Turner Hospital


Bone by Bone by Tony Johnston


East Side Story by Louis Auchincloss


Midwinter by John Buchan


Life of Pi by Yann Martel


Crocodile Tears  by Anthony Horowitz




I tried to pick a smattering of different styles that I like:  historical fiction, Australian fiction, and war fiction.

Some of them I researched before picking them up from the library, others I grabbed in a hurry.
I don't like to read trash, so if I come across anything smutty then in the reject pile it goes.  But I'm sure there won't be anything like that in Emma!   ;)

If this seems like a lot of books to read in a short period of time then you're about to be in for a shock.  In fact, I've already finished one and am halfway through the next two...  



Keep posted for verdicts on these titles!





Book covers courtesy of Google Books.


 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...